An artist at heart, my background in painting and printmaking is complemented by a technical aptitude and a love of learning. I like to think this affords me a broad perspective on the art and craft of design in all of its creative and technical demands. My deep respect for taste and aesthetics is matched only by a passion for clean typography and graceful markup.
- Detail-oriented typography and layout skills
- Strong front end web development knowledge, with basic back end capabilities
- Understanding of SEO and web accessibility best practices
- Experienced in 1-, 2- and 4-color print design
- Intimate knowledge of digital photography and image editing, color correction and retouching
- Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, QuarkXPress
- Mac/Windows, Word, Excel
- Front end
- HTML, CSS, JS (vanilla, jQuery)
- Back end
- PHP (OOP, Wordpress), MySQL, basic Apache configurations
University of Denver
1998 to 2002
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Art (Painting)
- Secondary concentration in Electronic Media Arts & Design
Studio Art Centers International, Florence
Fall and Winter 2001
- Studies in fresco painting, lithography, screen printing, illustration and black & white photography
Freelance Graphic Design
2006 to present
- Web design and front end development
- Identity and branding
- Web and print production
- Poster and t-shirt design
- Photo retouching and consultation
- Selected clients
- First Chair Designs, Rick & Kelly’s American Bistro, Vail Valley Animal Hospital, Brush Creek Dry Goods, Palace Construction, Fara Commercial Brokerage, Hunt to Eat, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, Mike Kelly Photography
UX Researcher and Front-End Designer—July 2014 to present
- Intensive full-stack immersion program in UX, IxD, UI and front-end development, working on short-term projects with clients from Chicago and around the world.
- Savvo Digital Sommelier Solutions, We Design Think, Plumwise, TeacherCare Online
DJ Photo Corp, Evanston, IL
Digital imaging specialist—2003 to 2014
- Photo Retouching
- Lead photo retoucher. Perform digital retouching, color/exposure correction and image enchancement for portrait studio and retail customers, as well as light to extensive restoration of faded and damaged photos.
- Digital Production
- Responsible for large format photo printing, archival scanning and photo duplication, basic video editing, and production of specialty photo products, including greeting cards, photo books, and photo sublimation gifts.
- Design & Marketing
- Design and maintain website. Developed custom PHP-based system for private online presentation and ordering of portrait images.
- Produce direct mail, print and web advertising and in-store flyers.
- Systems & Maintenance
- Manage Windows-based computer network. Maintain large format inkjet, sublimation inkjet and high-speed production laser printers.
- Established color-managed digital imaging workflows in changeover from analog, linking systems from multiple vendors and coordinating diverse inputs with four forms of color output.
- Customer Service
- Portrait consultation and sales, digital camera instruction and guidance, film processing and quality control, photo framing.
College of American Pathologists, Northfield, IL
Graphic Design Intern—1998 to 2000 (seasonal)
- In-house print projects executed from concept and design to pre-press delivery.
- Assisted production and editing of annual meeting and proficiency testing catalogs.
- Converted legacy assets from PageMaker to QuarkXpress. Prepared internal business card and letterhead updates.